I’m a Certified Archivist with an MSLIS and experience in academic, corporate, and non-profit archives, as well as with digital asset management, digitization, and linked data projects. I’m currently seeking part-time job opportunities and project work.
I have a strong information technology background, including administering archival management software, programmatically manipulating metadata, and developing websites. I especially enjoy working with music-related materials, as both an archivist and researcher.
Archives & library experience
California Historical Society
Catalog and manage digital collections in Islandora and ArchivesSpace.
Levay Information Services
Archival consulting and project work; web development and website maintenance; music and discographic research and writing; archival research and curatorial work.
Notable projects include:
- Michael Bloomfield discography, in Ward, E. (2016). Michael Bloomfield: The rise and fall of an American guitar hero. Chicago: Chicago Review Press.
- Various archival projects for Winthrop Group, Inc., October 2015-present. Performed extensive digitization and metadata capture of print and photographic materials; archival surveys and detailed inventories; provided recommendations for further processing and preservation.
- Jerome L. Greene Foundation website, jlgreene.org, 2014-present. Custom WordPress theme development, ongoing site maintenance.
- Yaddo: Making American Culture, NYPL exhibition and accompanying book, 2008. Extensive archival research; curation of sound recordings for exhibition.
- Interviews with Rosanne Cash and Art Neville, record reviews, feature on Matisyahu for Newport Mercury weekly, 2006.
Digital Image Archivist
Cella Consulting (contracted to Chevron)
June 2016—Jan 2017
Processed, cataloged, and managed born-digital assets including images, design files, and documents using the North Plains Telescope DAM system; provided digital asset reference services to business units across Chevron.
Gap Inc. Corporate Archives
Aug 2015—June 2016
Processed and digitized print and photographic materials; assisted in the corporate archives’ implementation of a company-wide digital asset management system (Adobe Experience Manager).
Archivist/web developer/intern coordinator
ARChive of Contemporary Music
Sept 2013—July 2015
Coordinated book-digitization project, a partnership with the Internet Archive; performed day-to-day library and archives work, including the cataloging of books and sound recordings using FileMaker Pro; managed interns and volunteers; developed and managed custom WordPress website (arcmusic.org); created and maintained internal wiki for documentation (MediaWiki); developed workflows and wrote documentation, e.g., how to convert and standardize catalog data from FileMaker Pro to MySQL for web presentation; regularly posted to various social media platforms.
Graduate assistant, Linked Jazz
Pratt Institute School of Information and Library Science
Jan 2014—June 2015
Worked as a research assistant on the Linked Jazz project (linkedjazz.org), a linked open data research project. Conceived and implemented ways to enhance discoverability and accessibility of jazz-related digital resources, including photo archives and discographies, using linked open data tools and best practices. Read a blog post about my work on the Linked Jazz project.
American Museum of Natural History Research Library
Evaluated several archival content management systems, including ArchivesSpace, Access to Memory (AtoM), and CollectiveAccess, as part of the CLIR-funded Hidden Collections project. Made recommendation for a system to manage EAD and EAC-CPF records. Read a blog post about my work at the museum.
Associated Press Corporate Archives
Sept 2006—July 2008
Implemented archival management software (Archivists’ Toolkit); processed archival collections; created EAD finding aids; edited and proofread oral history transcripts; aided researchers; installed exhibitions.
Processing archivist/graduate assistant
Fales Library & Special Collections, NYU
Sept 2005—June 2007
Processed archival collections, including the records of the avant-garde theater company Mabou Mines; created EAD finding aids; installed exhibitions; paged and shelved books; assisted patrons in accessing and using Fales Library holdings.
Other experience and employment
Assistant to the director
National Recording Preservation Foundation
Assisted in day-to-day operations of this non-profit grant-awarding foundation. Created and maintained website (recordingpreservation.org), Facebook, Twitter and YouTube accounts. Wrote news items for site; edited and posted videos and other content.
New media coordinator
United Federation of Teachers
July 2008—June 2013
Created and posted content to UFT.org (Drupal), Edwize.org (WordPress), and social media platforms; maintained editorial standards across sites; created and sent email blasts to 100,000-plus member list; solicited, edited and published contributions to blog; worked closely with IT department to update, test and roll out site updates and enhancements; performed occasional front-end development; used Google Analytics and usability test data to prioritize content and improve user experience; trained staffers to use CMS; did occasional reporting for union newspaper; involved in most stages of the UFT’s 2009-10 web redesign, from RFP to launch.
Education & Certifications
Academy of Certified Archivists
starting October 2016
MS, Library and Information Science
Advanced Certificate in Archives
Relevant coursework: Management of Archives and Special Collections, Projects in Digital Archives, Advanced Cataloging, Programming for Cultural Heritage, Digital Asset Management
MA, Humanities and Social Thought
New York University
Ethnomusicology/cultural & media studies concentration in the John W. Draper Interdisciplinary Master’s Program.
Pennsylvania State University, Schreyer Honors College
2015 recipient, Seoud M. Matta Award for Outstanding Achievement in Information Technology, Pratt Institute School of Information and Library Science
2014 recipient, F. Gerald Ham and Elsie Ham Scholarship, Society of American Archivists
Michael Bloomfield discography, Michael Bloomfield: The Rise and Fall of The First Guitar Hero, Chicago Review Press, August 2016
“Expeditions, Exhibitions, and EAC-CPF: Archival Authorities at the American Museum of Natural History
April 9, 2016, Society of California Archivists Annual General Meeting, Santa Rosa, California
“Linked Jazz: Using Linked Open Data to Map Relationships Among Musicians”
May 16, 2014, Association for Recorded Sound Collections (ARSC) 48th annual conference, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Audio | Slides
- Archival arrangement and description
- Installation and administration of content management systems including ArchivesSpace, Archivists’ Toolkit, Access to Memory (AtoM), WordPress, Omeka, and Drupal
- WordPress development: custom themes incorporating responsive design; plugin development
- Linked data and RDF
- Data harvesting, wrangling, and cleanup using Python, Open Refine
- Databases – MySQL, Filemaker Pro
- Archival metadata – EAD, EAC-CPF
- Cataloging – AACR2, RDA, MARC21, OCLC Connexion
- HTML, XML, CSS and SASS, Python, PHP
- VirtualBox, Ubuntu
- Sound recording digitization and editing
- Video editing and screencasting
- Scanning and image retouching/manipulation
- Copyediting and proofreading
Professional affiliations & activities
- Society of California Archivists (SCA)
Program Committee member
- Society of American Archivists (SAA)
- Association for Recorded Sound Collections (ARSC)
- American Library Association (ALA)